Ads 468x60px

Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Braised Beef Short Ribs

I found this Braised Beef Short Ribs recipe over at the Pioneer Woman's site. I made a couple of changes to it.
Shucked some fresh corn for the side.
I seasoned the short ribs the night before with sea salt, pepper, and seasoning salt then lightly floured them before cooking.
Sear in a skillet with olive oil until brown on each side. This may take a while but brown them as much as you want.


Sit them to them to the side to drain.


Using the oil and fat left in the pan, sautee 1/2 red onion, 1/2 cup carrots and 1 celery stalk (if you choose). Cook until the veggies start to get soft.



Add 2 cups of red wine (preferrably NOT the cooking wine but the real stuff). Let it cook down so that the alcohol will cook out of it.



Add two cups of beef or chicken broth. This mixture will need to cover the ribs so make sure you add equal parts of each.

Once the liquid has simmered and cooked down, add the ribs back into the pot. Toss in a few sprigs of fresh Thyme, Rosemary and Sage (those were my preference). Cook for 2 hours on a low heat (oven = 375 degrees; stovetop = low heat).


Once done (your kitchen will smell HEAVENLY while it cooks), let the meat rest so that fat and oil can rise to the top. Laddle it off and mix the remaining sauce at the bottom.

I served mine with mashed red potatoes, fresh corn on the cob, and covered the ribs with some veggie red wine reduction at the bottom of the skillet. Yum!
What I liked: It wasn't very hard to cook at all. This would be perfect if you were having people over for dinner and wanted to whip something up. Most ingredients are already in your pantry. I also loved how the dish smelled while cooking. Each bite is just as aromatic as next.
What I disliked: I should have used a Dutch Oven. I think it would have come out a tad bit better if I put it into the oven and let it cook in there. The meat wasn't quite falling off the bone like I wanted but it was tender.

0 comments:

Post a Comment